Intro

ET OSX is a list of useful tools for the MacOS X, most of which live in the Applications folder on my startup drive. It started as a 'what's on my Mac' page on my personal site but quickly evolved into a blog of its own. I'm trying to focus most on of the tiny but useful utilities that sometimes save you lots of trouble and effort, and to omit for the most part the list of big guns, that one normally uses on a daily basis. The list serves two purposes, lets me easily answer 'how do I do this on the Mac' questions asked by other users, and helps me remember answers to the same questions myself.

Perian

Project Perian (perian.org) enables you to easily watch many popular, but officially unsupported video file formats in QuickTime Player. Ambitiously dubbed 'the swiss-army knife for QuickTime', Perian consists of a couple of QT component files, that allow you to use DivX, XviD, .avi, .flv and what not with a little more than a double click. And what is more, XviD to iPod video conversion is just a compression away. Perian is free and open-source project that accepts donations through PayPal.
Update: Perian was updated around the end of June 2007 to version 1.0. It now officially supports lots and lots of audio and video codecs and file formats as well as transparent subtitle support (.srt and ssa) with great language and encoding recognition. Means it can play your subtitles without you having to set any kind of language preferences ;-) Grab your copy from the Perian downloads page and have fun!

No comments: